The dairy sector in Uruguay
- 90% of Uruguay’s milk produced for the industry contains less than 50,000 colony-forming units (CFU), while the international standard is less than 100,000.
- 82% of Uruguayan milk produced for the industry complies with the international standard of less than 400,000 somatic cells.
- There are 3,200 producers selling their milk to the industries.
- 2,300 million liters of milk are produced yearly.
- Uruguay exports its dairy products to more than 60 countries around the world, including: USA, China, Russia, Singapore, Brazil, Cuba, Algeria, Mexico, Vietnam, Morocco, Philippines, Venezuela, Chile, Colombia, Taiwan, etc.
- The per capita milk consumption is 250 liters per year.
- 70% of the produced milk is exported.
Source: INALE (Instituto Nacional de la Leche, Uruguay).